Wednesday 4 July 2007

Nov. 8, 1973

Billy and Hal have started calling Robert my “Nigger” friend. That hurts. Mom told me that it’s really bad to call someone a nigger. If Robert’s around they won’t even talk to me. He’s actually really nice, except when someone calls him Bob or Bobby. He hates that. “My name is Robert!” he shouts. Nobody calls anyone by their full name. Only Mom calls me Thomas, and only when she is mad at me.

I was really surprised that Robert doesn’t want to try out for basketball. He says he’s really bad at sports. I can’t believe that. Even Mr Milner was pleading with him. Robert promised that he would try, but he didn’t think he’d make it.

Our English test was really hard, but I think I did OK. Sandy thought it was easy. I’m still not that wild about Hemingway, but helping Rhonda with her homework on Tuesday helped me think about it a little differently. We get Steinbeck next: The Grapes of Wrath, now that’s a cool title. Rhonda is going to be reading Steinbeck, too, but she’s reading Of Mice and Men.

Rhonda and Sandy walked with me again today. They teased me about my black eye, which is now turning all sorts of colors. Rhonda got an A on her book report that I helped her with. I’m going to help her again on Tuesday, but she’s coming to my house this time. I don’t think Mom would be too happy if she caught us tongue-wrestling.

I learned today: I don’t like spinach.

No comments: